Home latest

What to know About Top school Kenya High

The Kenya High School Details, Fees, Results, Location and Contacts

About Kenya High School Details

The Kenya High School is a Girls Public National School situated in Nairobi Kenya. It is located on Kileleshwa hill, off Mandera road, which is about 7 km from the City center.

Loading...

The Kenya High School built on a 100-acre plot, an initiative by the Government in 1946. The school initially started in 1910. The school was by then referred to as The Kenyan European School and it was meant for the European only. At this time the school was located at the current Nairobi Primary. The School is suitably furnished and equipped to satisfy every student’s intellectual and physical needs.

Loading...

Student Admission to The Kenya High School

The Kenya High School being a Public National School admits students through the Ministry of Education Form one yearly intake. The School has a population of 800 students and therefore has an intake of 200 students every year. As a National school, the  School admits Students from all over the country.

The Kenya High School History

Kenya high school
Kenya high celebrates after being the top in 2019
K.C.S.E results release

The Kenya High School had its beginnings in 1910 when a co-educational school called the Nairobi European School began in buildings designed for police Barracks. In 1931 the boys were separated from the girls.

In 1935, the school was renamed The European Girls Secondary School and had its first Headmistress, Miss Kerby appointed. The buildings consisted partly of temporary wooden huts located on the compound of the present Nairobi Primary school, with whom the secondary school shared the present buildings. Staff housing was scattered in the vicinity of Protectorate Hill. In 1939, the school was renamed The Kenya High School.

In 1942, Miss Stott succeeded Miss Kerby. By this time, because of the existing overcrowding and lack of modern facilities, there was considerable demand for a new school. By 1944, the present site of about 100 acres on Kileleshwa Hill had been approved and sterling pound 150 had been voted in the 1945 budget as a token sum towards the laying out of the grounds. Eventually, the total cost of building and laying out of the grounds reached sterling pounds 700,000.

The present school began to take shape and in 1950, 100 boarders moved into two boarding blocks of the partially completed new school. The site at that time looked very different from today. The trees and flowering shrubs, which do so much enhance and beautify the grounds, remained to be planted; the chapel, the library, and the swimming pool were yet to be built.

The swimming pool was completed in December 1952, with the aid of a government loan. This loan was finally paid off at the end of 1967. The Chapel was dedicated in 1959 and the library opened in 1963. In 1963, Miss Stott retired and Miss Leeves took over.

Just prior to miss Stott’s retirement, the first African and Asian girls were admitted. The first African girl to be admitted in 1961 was Ann Mithamo.

During the four years of Miss Leevers’ headship, the inter-racial pattern of the school began to take shape. Before Miss Leevers left, she handed over to Miss Barnes.

In 1967 plans had been made for the building of the Art Studio. Later in 1967, it was decided to extend the plan of the Art room to include a Music room and Music practice room.

This block was completed early in 1969 when the Hon. D. T. Arap Moi officially opened on sports day. The school is still without an assembly which had to be omitted from an earlier building plan owing to lack of funds.

In 1974 the Kenya High School was taken over by the government and it began to take more African pupils and teachers. The first African Headmistress was Mrs. R. Kariuki. She took over from Miss Barnes on January 1977 and left in July of the same year after handing over the school to Mrs. M. W. Wanjohi on 22nd July 1977 to August 1999. After Mrs. Wanjohi’s retirement, Mrs. Rosemary Saina took over in September 1999 to date.

There was school committee as early as 1932, whose members dedicated themselves to the well being of the school, in 1960, these duties were transferred to the board of governors.

The school has had very able Heads of the board of governors e.g. Sir Phillip Mitchell (1960-1963), Mr J. G. Francis(1963-1965) and it is particularly indebted to Mr Charles Njonjo who served the school for 10 years (1966-1976), Mr Geoffrey Kariithi (1977-1988), Dr. Eddah Gachukia (1984-1988) became the first lady chairperson of the board, Ms Margaret W. Kenyatta(1989-1996), Mrs Damaris Ayodo who serve in the board from 1975 became chairperson (1996-1999), Mrs Rebecca Masese took over from1999 to date.

History cannot forget many dedicated people who played a very significant role in the running of the school such as Mr. Mortimer who donated the former main gate. There are several tables and chairs in the library donated by individual parents. In her will, Molly Nesbitt left part of her money as a bursary to the best French students annually.

Apart from these individuals, the government gave all the monies for capital development. In the early 1980s, cost-sharing between the parents and the government was effected.

The present Parents Teachers Association was started on 12th July 1979. The idea was proposed by Professor J.M. Mungai who became the first chairman. The following people acted as the caretakers in the executive committee until the Annual General Meeting was held. Professor Joseph M. Mungai, Ven. John Kago, Professor F. A. Mutere, Professor V. K. Gupta, Mrs. M. Mpaayei, Mr. B.O. Okudo, Mrs. Grace Ogot, Mr. C. A. De Ameida, Mr. Davidson Ngini and M. L. Handa, Deputy Registrar General.

The P.T.A. was registered with the Attorney General in October 1979 and Professor Joseph Mungai became the first P.T.A. chairman until 1985 when Mr Wasunna took over up to February 1995. Thereafter, the chairpersons of the P.T.A. were The Kenya High School Contacts: Prof. K. Wambari (1995-1997), Mr. P. E. Mwaisaka (1997-1998), Mr Lee Muthoga (1998-1999), Major (Rtd) C.N. Diffu (2007 -2009), Prof. J. Kaimenyi (2008 – 2009) ,Mr G. S. Mutungi (2009-2013), Dr. Bitange Ndemo (2013-2015) the P.T.A. chairman is Mrs. Gacicio who took over in 2015 to date.

It is worthwhile noting that the Kenya High School enrolment has gradually increased over time; in the late 30s the school had 35 students, in the 40s, 150 and this rose to 500 in the 50s. This upward trend continued in the 60s with a total of students’ bodies of 650. In the 70s the total population had risen to 700.The 80s and 90s had an enrollment of between 800 to 850. Currently, the school population stands at 1200 students.

Mission: To provide holistic and quality education for service to God and Humanity.

Vision: A Center for educational excellence and training.

Motto: Servire est Regnare

CORE VALUES

  • Godliness
  • Industry
  • Confidence and Gracefulness
  • Unity and Service

Extra Curricular Activities

The Kenya high operate clubs that are popular with our students These include:

  • Drama First Aid
  • Wildlife Environmenta
  • Science Tennis
  • Scouts Peer counseling
  • Rangers Karate
  • Swimming YFC
  • SCAD CU
  • EAMUN (Model United Nations)
  • TIS (Taqwa Islamic Society)
  • Presidents Award Scheme
  • Junior Achievement Company

Kenya High Curriculum

Kenya High school is a Student-centered institution. It helps each student discover and develop her individual talent.

The KHS is a National school therefore the students are selected on merit on a quota basis from all districts in the country.

The School offers a wide range of subjects based on the 8-4-4 system of education, which includes the following subjects:

Other posts

Core subjects:

  • English
  • Mathematics
  • Kiswahili
  • Sciences: Physics, Chemistry, Biology
  • Humanities: Geography, History, C.R.E
  • Foreign Languages: French, German

Other foundation subjects:

Art and Design, Home Science, Agriculture Business Studies, Music

The school also plans regular career talk sessions where students meet and discuss careers with the teachers and professionals from all walks of life.
This has enabled students to make informed decisions on future career choices.

The Kenya High School KCSE Results

Individual candidates can check their KCSE results by SMS or online using an SMS number or website link provided at the release of the exam. Candidates and parents should visit the school for their official results slip. Results for all candidates and the school national, county and local ranking can also be found from the schools’ office.

The ministry of education advises parents teachers and pupils to check the KCSE result slip for any anomaly such as incorrect candidate’s name, school name and code as well as wrong subject grade and report to KNEC within a month after the announcement.

The Kenya High School Fees, Account Number and Uniform

For details on school fees structureaccount number and uniform, please contact the principal or the schools office using the contacts below.

The Kenya High School Contacts (Address, Location, Email, Telephone and Website)

School Name: Kenya High school
Physical Location: Mandera Road, Kileleshwa,
Address: P.O. Box 30035, Nairobi
City/Town: Nairobi
County: Nairobi
School Category: Public
School Code :
Phone Number:
Email: info(at)kenyahigh.ac.ke

The Kenya High School built on a 100-acre plot, an initiative by the Government in 1946. The school initially started in 1910. The school was by then referred to as The Kenyan European School and it was meant for the European only. At this time the school was located at the current Nairobi Primary. The School is suitably furnished and equipped to satisfy every student’s intellectual and physical needs.

Student Admission to The Kenya High School

The Kenya High School being a Public National School admits students through the Ministry of Education Form one yearly intake. The School has a population of 800 students and therefore has an intake of 200 students every year. As a National school, the  School admits Students from all over the country.

The Kenya High School History

The Kenya High School had its beginnings in 1910 when a co-educational school called the Nairobi European School began in buildings designed for police Barracks. In 1931 the boys were separated from the girls.

In 1935, the school was renamed The European Girls Secondary School and had its first Headmistress, Miss Kerby appointed. The buildings consisted partly of temporary wooden huts located on the compound of the present Nairobi Primary school, with whom the secondary school shared the present buildings. Staff housing was scattered in the vicinity of Protectorate Hill. In 1939, the school was renamed The Kenya High School.

In 1942, Miss Stott succeeded Miss Kerby. By this time, because of the existing overcrowding and lack of modern facilities, there was considerable demand for a new school. By 1944, the present site of about 100 acres on Kileleshwa Hill had been approved and sterling pound 150 had been voted in the 1945 budget as a token sum towards the laying out of the grounds. Eventually, the total cost of building and laying out of the grounds reached sterling pounds 700,000.

The present school began to take shape and in 1950, 100 boarders moved into two boarding blocks of the partially completed new school. The site at that time looked very different from today. The trees and flowering shrubs, which do so much enhance and beautify the grounds, remained to be planted; the chapel, the library, and the swimming pool were yet to be built.

The swimming pool was completed in December 1952, with the aid of a government loan. This loan was finally paid off at the end of 1967. The Chapel was dedicated in 1959 and the library opened in 1963. In 1963, Miss Stott retired and Miss Leeves took over.

Just prior to miss Stott’s retirement, the first African and Asian girls were admitted. The first African girl to be admitted in 1961 was Ann Mithamo.

During the four years of Miss Leevers’ headship, the inter-racial pattern of the school began to take shape. Before Miss Leevers left, she handed over to Miss Barnes.

In 1967 plans had been made for the building of the Art Studio. Later in 1967, it was decided to extend the plan of the Art room to include a Music room and Music practice room.

This block was completed early in 1969 when the Hon. D. T. Arap Moi officially opened on sports day. The school is still without an assembly which had to be omitted from an earlier building plan owing to lack of funds.

In 1974 the Kenya High School was taken over by the government and it began to take more African pupils and teachers. The first African Headmistress was Mrs. R. Kariuki. She took over from Miss Barnes on January 1977 and left in July of the same year after handing over the school to Mrs. M. W. Wanjohi on 22nd July 1977 to August 1999. After Mrs. Wanjohi’s retirement, Mrs. Rosemary Saina took over in September 1999 to date.

There was school committee as early as 1932, whose members dedicated themselves to the well being of the school, in 1960, these duties were transferred to the board of governors.

The school has had very able Heads of the board of governors e.g. Sir Phillip Mitchell (1960-1963), Mr J. G. Francis(1963-1965) and it is particularly indebted to Mr Charles Njonjo who served the school for 10 years (1966-1976), Mr Geoffrey Kariithi (1977-1988), Dr. Eddah Gachukia (1984-1988) became the first lady chairperson of the board, Ms Margaret W. Kenyatta(1989-1996), Mrs Damaris Ayodo who serve in the board from 1975 became chairperson (1996-1999), Mrs Rebecca Masese took over from1999 to date.

History cannot forget many dedicated people who played a very significant role in the running of the school such as Mr. Mortimer who donated the former main gate. There are several tables and chairs in the library donated by individual parents. In her will, Molly Nesbitt left part of her money as a bursary to the best French students annually.

Apart from these individuals, the government gave all the monies for capital development. In the early 1980s, cost-sharing between the parents and the government was effected.

The present Parents Teachers Association was started on 12th July 1979. The idea was proposed by Professor J.M. Mungai who became the first chairman. The following people acted as the caretakers in the executive committee until the Annual General Meeting was held. Professor Joseph M. Mungai, Ven. John Kago, Professor F. A. Mutere, Professor V. K. Gupta, Mrs. M. Mpaayei, Mr. B.O. Okudo, Mrs. Grace Ogot, Mr. C. A. De Ameida, Mr. Davidson Ngini and M. L. Handa, Deputy Registrar General.

The P.T.A. was registered with the Attorney General in October 1979 and Professor Joseph Mungai became the first P.T.A. chairman until 1985 when Mr Wasunna took over up to February 1995. Thereafter, the chairpersons of the P.T.A. were The Kenya High School Contacts: Prof. K. Wambari (1995-1997), Mr. P. E. Mwaisaka (1997-1998), Mr Lee Muthoga (1998-1999), Major (Rtd) C.N. Diffu (2007 -2009), Prof. J. Kaimenyi (2008 – 2009) ,Mr G. S. Mutungi (2009-2013), Dr. Bitange Ndemo (2013-2015) the P.T.A. chairman is Mrs. Gacicio who took over in 2015 to date.

It is worthwhile noting that the Kenya High School enrolment has gradually increased over time; in the late 30s the school had 35 students, in the 40s, 150 and this rose to 500 in the 50s. This upward trend continued in the 60s with a total of students’ bodies of 650. In the 70s the total population had risen to 700.The 80s and 90s had an enrollment of between 800 to 850. Currently, the school population stands at 1200 students.

Mission: To provide holistic and quality education for service to God and Humanity.

Vision: A Center for educational excellence and training.

Motto: Servire est Regnare

CORE VALUES

  • Godliness
  • Industry
  • Confidence and Gracefulness
  • Unity and Service

Extra Curricular Activities

The Kenya high operate clubs that are popular with our students These include:

  • Drama First Aid
  • Wildlife Environmenta
  • Science Tennis
  • Scouts Peer counseling
  • Rangers Karate
  • Swimming YFC
  • SCAD CU
  • EAMUN (Model United Nations)
  • TIS (Taqwa Islamic Society)
  • Presidents Award Scheme
  • Junior Achievement Company

Kenya High Curriculum

Kenya High school is a Student-centered institution. It helps each student discover and develop her individual talent.

The KHS is a National school therefore the students are selected on merit on a quota basis from all districts in the country.

The School offers a wide range of subjects based on the 8-4-4 system of education, which includes the following subjects: